Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winlink Network Announcement
Beginning on Wednesday September 4 2024 I will be launching a new digital radio network. This will commence with a Winlink Wednesday project. The objective of this program is to provide a practical and fun way to learn and use Winlink. Participation in the project or the digital network is entirely optional but obviously encouraged.

As a quick reminder, Winlink is both a computer email program and the international Winllink email network. Winlink was created an maintained by amateur radio volunteers and is commonly associated with emergency communication, however it is not limited to this function. 

This very sophisticated software / network is a powerful tool which allows users to stay in touch with family and friends even when entirely in areas with no cell service, or simply when you are off-grid. Winlink has a wide range of useful features which can send location reports, get weather information and even send pictures from virtually any where, with our without the internet. Best of all, it can be used free, however donations to the Winlink organization help support development and the main servers for the network.

Winlink can be used on-line like other email programs using a feature called "telnet" However, when connected to a radio via a digital interface in the radio or via and external sound card, it can send and receive email via HF or VHF/UHF. Getting started is free and only requires downloading software from Winlink.org. 

If you don't already have Winlink just download and install it. There is a shallow learning curve to use Winlink, but there is nothing difficult to understand and quickly master. All that is required is to first set up a Winlink account using your call sign and you'll be all set to begin to enjoy the benefits of this terrific program. 

Please consider joining me for this new Winlink Wednesday project. I think you'll find it both enjoyable and fun. Once you've installed the program and set up your account please email me via Winlink at VE3VCG and I will put you on my mailing list.

Smile